Sweet potatoes are a variety of potatoes, very similar to the regular potatoes and are often used like a substitute for them. However, sweet potatoes are a bit different in that they’re sweeter and they have a different shape and color.
There are different colored sweet potatoes but the most common ones are the yellowish-orange and cream-colored potatoes. There are even purple colored sweet potatoes in some regions like Japan.
Aside from being very delicious, sweet potatoes are also rich in antioxidants and many other nutrients which make them extremely health beneficial. They abound in vitamins, minerals and all the nutrients you need to consider adding them to your diet.
Here are some amazing facts about sweet potatoes you’d like to know:
1. Sweet potatoes are good for diabetics thanks to its ability to stabilize the blood sugar levels. In people suffering from diabetes they also have the ability to control the insulin resistance.
2. Sweet potatoes are loaded with fibers that will completely help you in having a healthy digestion and also a detoxification.
3. Sweet potatoes contains a huge amount of Vitamin A that enables the regeneration of the respiratory system especially for those people who excessively smoke.
4. Sweet potatoes dispense potassium, and protect heart. This mineral reduces the harmful effect of sodium. Potassium regulates blood pressure and balances electrolytes.
5. Potassium reduces swelling and cramps. It relaxes muscles and regulates your heartbeat.
6. Vitamin D strengthens teeth, bones, skin, and heart. It boosts energy and optimizes the function of your thyroid gland.
7. Sweet potatoes are rich in Beta-carotene as well, a very important nutrient for overall health. It’s beneficial against asthma, arthritis and gout and will improve your lungs and stop breast cancer cells from proliferating.
8. Sweet potatoes are loaded with folic acid, a need for the development of healthy fetal. Sweet potatoes are good for all the pregnant women.
9. Sweet potatoes can provide a great amount of Vitamin C for the body.
10. You can apply the broth water of boiled sweet potatoes for treating skin conditions most especially for irritation of the skin, cleaning all the pores and removing impurities.