Okra is a flowering plant from the mallow family that is also known as gumbo or lady’s fingers. The plant is valued for its edible green pods that have numerous health benefits.
The pods are used as a thickening agent in soups and stews, but they also have great nutritional value thanks to the abundance of vitamins and minerals. Besides this, okra is a great natural remedy that can treat anything from diabetes to kidney disease.
It has an excellent nutritional value, and a cup of okra provides 30 calories, 2 g protein, 3 g fiber, 21 mg vitamin C, 0.1 fat, 7.6 g carbohydrates, 80 mg folate and 60 g magnesium. It is easily available throughout the whole year, and you will be amazed with its health benefits.
Okra is an extremely healthy vegetable, but you have to pick a healthy way to prepare it as well. Some people like it boiled, raw, pickled, fried and even stewed.
Its benefits range from relieving asthma symptoms, boosting immunity, reducing bad cholesterol, treating kidney problems to controlling diabetes. Okra also enhances glucose related absorption in the stomach.
We give you an awesome recipe that will help you drop down your blood sugar levels.
1. Pierce each side of the pods with a knife.
2. Place the pods in a large mason jar, then cover them with water.
3. Soak the pods overnight, at least eight hours (up to 24 hours).
4. In the morning, squeeze the pods into the water to release any leftover sap.
5. Throw the pods away and drink the water.
Other Health Benefits:
– Preventing and improving constipation
– Lowering cholesterol
– Enhances glucose related absorption in the stomach.
– Reducing the risk of some forms of cancer, especially colorectal cancer
– Improving energy levels, helping with depression and boosting immunity
– Helping to treat sore throat, irritable bowel, ulcers and lung inflammation.