A flawless, lighter and younger looking skin is a dream of almost everyone of us. Isn’t it? But due to pollution, stress, food habits, aging, and harmful rays our skin gets darker, blemished and pigmented.
The above factors can lead to an increase in the melanin production which eventually darkens the skin tone. In a rush to achieve a flawless skin, we resort on skin whitening products which are widely available in the market.
The harmful chemicals like paraben, lanolin, BHA, and BHT present in them can very harmful for our skin. Though they provide instant glow and fairness, it doesn’t stay for a longer time.
A simple skin care routine can provide both safe and long lasting results. A good skin care routine includes
– Cleansing – removing dust, dirt and oil from the skin
– Exfoliation – scrubbing off the accumulated dead skin
– Toning – Shrinking the open sores
– Mask – to lighten the skin
– Moisturizing – To nourish and lock moisture in the skin cells
Below, we have included different ingredients and procedures you can follow and create your own skin care routine.
1. Dried orange peels + yogurt
You can dry the orange peels by placing them under the hot sun until the peels turn dry and crisp. Later, grind the dried peels until it turns into powder. Mix a tablespoon of this with a tablespoon of fresh yogurt to make a paste. Then apply this paste over cleansed face and leave it on for about 20 minutes. Repeat this at least thrice in a week for best results.
Yogurt, a by-product of milk, has many nutrients that are good for the skin. It also contains lactic acid that has bleaching properties. The following remedies are suitable for all skin types.
– Gently rub plain yogurt onto your skin. Leave it on for a few minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water. Do this once daily for several weeks to notice a significant change in your complexion.
– Alternatively, mix one tablespoon of fresh yogurt with one-half tablespoon of honey. Apply the mixture on your face and neck. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash it off with water. Do this daily to improve your skin tone and complexion.
– You can also add a little lemon juice and some oatmeal to yogurt to make a thick paste, and apply it as a face mask. This remedy will also help keep your skin supple and moisturized.
3. Tomato + yogurt + oatmeal
This is an amazing remedy- I mean it. All you got to do is mix a tablespoon of oatmeal with a tablespoon of tomato juice and yogurt each. Mix well until you get a thick consistency in the paste. Later apply this on your face as a mask and leave it on for 30 minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water (you may also apply light and mild skin moisturizer after drying your skin).
4. Milk + lemon juice + honey
Make sure to use fresh lemon juice for this remedy. Mix together a tablespoon of milk and lemon juice each. Then, add in a teaspoon of honey. Honey acts as moisturizing agent, to balance out the drying property of lemon. Mix these ingredients well and apply over cleansed face. Leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing off.
5. Gram Flour
Gram flour is one of the best ingredients for people who wish to lighten their skin complexion.
It contains various nutrients that help keep your skin very healthy. Using the remedy below every other day will help remove excess oil from your skin while retaining your skin’s natural moisture.
1. Mix some gram flour with a small amount of water or rose water to make a thick paste.
2. Apply it on your face, hands, and legs.
3. Leave it on until the paste dries. Then wash it off with water.
The acidic property in lemons works as a natural bleaching agent for the skin and the high amount of vitamin C in them encourages new cell growth. Also, lemons have antioxidants that are very good for skin complexion.
– Dip a cotton ball in freshly squeezed lemon juice and apply it directly on your face. You can even rub a cut lemon directly over the affected skin and allow the juice to stick to the skin. Leave it on for at least an hour and then wash your face with water. Do this once daily. This simple remedy will surely lighten your skin complexion and can also prevent the development of scars on your face.
– Mix three teaspoons of lemon juice and one teaspoon of turmeric powder. Apply this mixture on the skin and leave it on for half an hour. Wash it off with water. Do this once daily.
– Alternatively, mix together one teaspoon each of lemon juice, powdered milk and honey. Apply it on your skin and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off. Do this daily or every other day.
Note: When using these remedies, be sure there are no open wounds on your skin. The acidic nature of lemon juice can cause pain in open wounds. Also, lemon juice may not be suitable for sensitive skin or if you are allergic to lemons.
7. Tomato juice
Remember when our mothers endlessly emphasized on the benefits of tomatoes for skin? Mine did. Do not take it for granted, because tomatoes can actually whiten and moisturize your skin naturally. They make your skin glow and appear fairer than ever before. Consume one raw tomato on daily basis. You can also make a mask out of some freshly crushed tomatoes with yogurt. Apply the mask every two days once and watch the magic happen!
8. Turmeric + sandalwood + milk
This is another trusted and proven way to whiten your skin naturally. All you need is two tablespoons of sandalwood powder, a teaspoon of turmeric powder and some milk. Add in the milk little by little until a thick paste is formed. Later, apply this on your face and leave it on for about 20 minutes before rinsing off. These ingredients are some well known natural whitening agents and they remove impurities from skin effectively.
Papaya is regularly used in various beauty treatments and can also be used to lighten your skin complexion. Papaya is believed to contain natural bleaching properties and the various nutrients in it will make your skin glow with health.
– Eat papaya as a fruit. The general cleansing properties of papaya will cleanse the skin of impurities that could be causing it to darken.
– Rub the inner part of the skin of a papaya on your face. Allow it to dry. Then wash your face with cold water and pat it dry. This will give your skin a nice glow. Do this daily.
– Mash a ripe papaya and mix it with one cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Massage the mixture all over your face and neck. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes before washing it off with cold water. Do this at least once a week to notice a visible change in your skin tone.
10. Almond + milk
You probably know this remedy already. It’s a traditional way to whiten your complexion without having to use chemicals. All you have to do is grind some almonds until they turn into powder form. Later, mix the ground almond with some milk until a thick paste is formed. You may apply this as a mask daily.
11. Oatmeal + sugar
The best way to encourage the growth of new skin cells to improve your skin tone is to get rid of old skin cells. Oatmeal helps exfoliate the skin, leaving it supple and soft.
– Mix oatmeal with tomato juice and apply the mixture on your face. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash it off with cold water. While rinsing, rub it gently so that the oatmeal can scrub off the dead skin cells. Do this daily.
– Alternatively, mix one teaspoon of oatmeal powder, a pinch of turmeric and a few drops of lemon juice to make a thick paste. Apply it on your face and let it dry. Wash off the dry mask with water. Do this once daily.
12. Potato Juice
Potato juice is rich in vitamin C and has antioxidant properties. It is a mild bleaching agent that whitens your skin and also removes dead cells.
You will need just 1 potato.
1. Peel the potato and cut it into inch-sized pieces.
2. Rub the pieces of potato on the areas you want to lighten so that the juice is spread onto your skin.
3. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and wash with water.
You can also grate the potato, squeeze out the juice, and apply it with the help of a cotton pad.
– Repeat this thrice a week.
– It is best suited for All skin types
Caution: Potato juice can be slightly drying for the skin. Do not forget to use a moisturizer that suits your skin once you rinse the juice off.
Follow these natural remedies to lighten your skin complexion. However, bear in mind that these are very effective but will take time and patience to achieve your desired goal. Also remember that healthy skin is as important as a beautiful skin tone. So, try to maintain healthy skin also.