It’s the liquid you pour onto your finger after you accidentally cut yourself while doing the dishes. It’s what you use to disinfect your child’s knee after a fall, but did you know that there are so many other uses for hydrogen peroxide?
Maybe you’ve recognized it by its chemical formula, which is H2O2. In the purest form, it’s a colorless liquid, and it’s just a bit more viscous than water. Some of the most popular hydrogen peroxide uses include disinfecting, bleaching and oxidizing.
In fact, if you listen to the famous rapper, Eminem, maybe you may have heard that he used hydrogen peroxide to bleach his hair! You can think of hydrogen peroxide as being water that is equipped with an additional oxygen atom. The truth is that these two compounds are very different.
For this reason, most household products contain a diluted solution of the chemical. The majority of household solutions containing HP have as little as 3 to 5 percent of the active chemical in them.
Many people don’t know that the fizzing that you see when you pour HP onto a cut is actually H2O2 bonds breaking apart. The bubbles are really just free oxygen molecules.
While the science is quite fascinating, the practical uses of hydrogen peroxide are even better! Let’s dive right into the exciting world of HP and see what it can do for you!
Note: The term “HP” used in this article is just a shorter way of saying “hydrogen peroxide”. Also, the majority of these “uses’ should be carried out using a 3%, standard-grade purity of HP.
1. Remove pesticides: The majority of fresh vegetables are produced by using spray pesticides, which are harmful chemicals that should not be consumed. You should add ? a cup of HP to a bowl with 3 cups of water and let the vegetables soak in it for 30 minutes. Then, rinse the vegetables well and put them in the refrigerator for a while in order to dry out.
2. Eliminate viruses: Use about three drops of 3% HP in the both ears. According to some experts, this can significantly reduce the flu or cold duration. Once you apply the drops, let them sit for 10 minutes before allowing it to drain. Also, it will take the ear wax with it!
3. Get rid of airborne germs: In case you have a humidifier, combine 1 pint of 3 percent HP with one gallon of water and add it to the humidifier. Allow the humidifier to run until the mixture is depleted. It will actually remove airborne germs.
4. Bleach hair: HP is milder and safer, when compared to other household bleaching agents, so it can be used to bleach your hair.
5. Bleach finger and toe nails: For such a purpose, use the standard diluted HP product. Just pour some of it into a small container and dip your finger and toe nails for about 5 minutes. Repeat this for several days consecutively till you achieve the desired results.
6. Whiten your teeth: HP can whiten your teeth naturally by oxygenating their surface. First of all, brush your teeth normally with toothpaste. Then, combine 2 teaspoons of water with 1 teaspoon of 3 percent HP and swish the mixture around in your mouth for up to 1 minute, but don’t swallow any of it. At least, rinse your mouth with water and repeat it up to three times in a period of one week.
7. Create hair highlights: Spray some HP onto damp hair and it will actually give you sun-bleached highlights. Leave it to sit on the hair for up to 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
8. Rejuvenate and detoxify: Soak in a bath with some HP to rejuvenate and detoxify your body. Namely, pour 1 cup of 35 percent HP into a tub of water and soak in it for about a half an hour. You will be surely amazed with the results.
9. Eliminate stuffy sinuses: If you experience stuffy sinuses, it can be really painful. You can unclog them by using a homemade nasal solution, which contains HP. Combine 1 cup of water with 1 cap full of HP. But, if your sinuses are really stuffed, consider making a slightly more concentrated HP mixture.
10. Relieve toothache pain: In order to soothe toothache pain, do oil-pulling with a mixture of HP and coconut oil. The antibacterial properties of these ingredients help to remove the bacteria that are triggering the toothache pain.
11. Make an antiseptic mouth rinse: HP can act as a wonderful mouth wash to eliminate bad breath triggered by bacteria. Combine 1 cup of water with about 2 caps full of HP as well as rinse out your mouth with it.
12. Disinfect wounds: HP has an ability to disinfect small wounds. In most cases, just a small cap full of a standard 3 percent solution can actually do the trick. The wound should be washed with a 3 percent HP.
13. Get rid of acne: In case you have acne, make a face rinse that can clear up the acne. You should use a mixture of 2 tablespoons each of 3 percent HP and ACV. Additionally, dip a cotton pad on the resulted mixture and then pat it on your face on affected areas to eliminate the bacteria that result in acne breakouts. However, don’t use the same pad for the entire face, but use clean pads to pat new areas in order to prevent transference of the bacteria.
14. Soften calluses and corns: Just soak calluses and corns in a mixture of equal parts HP and ACV in case you need to soften and get rid of them.
15. Eliminate boils: Use HP to get rid of boils. Moreover, fill up your bathtub with water and add a cup of 35 percent HP. Besides it will treat your boils, but it will rejuvenate and detoxify your body, too.
16. Get wax out of your ear: Most people have a huge wax buildup in their ear and don’t even know it. Eliminate it with 2 drops of HP in each ear. Furthermore, after adding the HP to one ear at a time, you should also add a couple drops of olive oil. After a few minutes drain the solution out of the ear.
17. Alleviate ear infections: You can ease many of the symptoms as well as clear out the infection by applying 8 drops of HP to an infected ear.
18. Remove skin mites: Use HP to kill skin mites off. You should spray some 3 percent HP on the affected skin. Do this process several times after a few minutes, and it will definitely kill the skin mites.
19. Prevent the dreaded swimmer’s ear: It is a typical ear infection that can be eliminated by combining 1 cap of HP with some ACV in a small dropper bottle. In addition, after swimming, you should apply several drops of the solution to both ears in order to prevent infection.
20. Get rid of foot fungus: Combine equal amounts of 3 percent HP with water inside of a darkened bottle. The bottle should be darkened since HP cannot be exposed to light. Finally, apply the mixture to foot fungus.
21. Disinfect your toothbrush: Make sure your toothbrush is clean to maintain optimal oral hygiene. Disinfect your toothbrush by soaking it in HP, which will kill all of the bacteria that thrive in the bathroom.
22. Make a marinade for fish, poultry, or meat: Marinade meats by placing them inside a casserole, containing equal parts of water and HP. Keep in mind the casserole needs to be loosely covered and refrigerated for 30 minutes. Before cooking rinse the items.
23. Control fungus growth in aquariums: In case you own an aquarium, this is a miraculous way to use HP. But, you’ll have to check elsewhere in order to find the exact instructions, as well as you should be careful as you don’t want to harm your fish.
24. Act as a dishwasher detergent: Even though it’s not a perfect substitute for dishwasher liquid, but HP is always a good alternative. By mixing some HP with your dishwasher detergent, it can last longer.
25. Remove stubborn stains from clothing: In fact, blood is one of the most difficult stains to remove from clothing. Pour some undiluted HP directly onto the stain, let it sit for 1-3 minutes and rinse it off with cold water. At least, scrub with a bar soap to completely remove the stain. Do the process again as needed.
26. Make an all-purpose cleaner: Fill a spray bottle with a diluted mixture of HP and clean almost anything by using it.
27. Make laundry whiter: Over a long period of time, your white laundry items can get dingy and yellow. So, you should add 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide to the wash and leave the laundry to soak for about 30 minutes before wash.
28. Make an emetic for household pets: HP can induce vomiting. Also, this works well in case your dog or cat has swallowed something they shouldn’t, so HP can make them throw it up.
29. Remove organic stains: Blood, sweat, coffee, and wine are all considered as organic stains, and they can be quite difficult to remove. Create a mixture of 1 part dish detergent with two parts HP and apply it to the stains. But, HP can bleach darker colored fabrics, and therefore be cautious with what you use it on.
30. Get rid of undesirable odors: Over a period of time, the fabrics can get bogged down with odors. You should combine white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide and soak it in the solution to remove all unpleasant odors.
31. Clean your contact lenses: In case you wear contact lenses, clean them with HP. The only thing you should do is to soak your contacts into a diluted HP solution overnight. What’s more, it will get rid of protein buildup and make them ready to wear the following day.
32. Clean carpets and rugs: Use HP to clean dirty carpets and rugs. It’s very beneficial on light carpets as it can bleach darker colors. Just spray a diluted solution onto the rug or carpet and clean it as usually. Always do a spot test beforehand to ensure it won’t bleach the fabric.
33. Keep your shopping bags fresh: Of course, a reusable shopping bag is great, but it can also get dirty. By spraying it with some HP, you can disinfect and remove odors from any reusable shopping bag. Next, leave it to sit for several minutes and wipe it off by using a clean paper towel.
34. Disinfect your lunchbox: Spray your lunchbox with a diluted solution of HP and leave the hydrogen peroxide solution to sit for several minutes. Finally, just wipe it away.
35. Improve the seed germination: Fungal spores can impede the seed germination. Just soak seeds in HP before planting them to remove fungal spores from them.
36. Thoroughly Clean Your Humidifier: To keep a humidifier running efficiently and cleanly, just add 1 pint of HP with 1 gallon of water to it. The HP will disinfect the humidifier and remove mildew and mold.
37. Clean Tile Surfaces Better: An efficient and effective way to clean tile surfaces is the use of HP. Over time, tile surfaces will get dirty and accumulate stains. Remove the stains by spraying some HP directly onto tiles.
38. Clean The Toilet: Another great use for hydrogen peroxide is for cleaning the toilet. Pour half of a cup of HP into the toilet bowl and let it sit for about 30 minutes, then scrub. It will remove stains, disinfect the bowl and give the bowl a squeaky clean shine!
39. Make Grout Whiter: To make your grout whiter, mix 35 percent hydrogen peroxide with white flour and use it to clean the grout. However, the first step involves covering the grout with the paste. Allow it to sit overnight and rinse it off with water the next day, and see a much brighter grout.
40. Get Rid Of Soap Scum In The Sink Or Bath Tub: This is one of the hardest stains to scrub out of your tub. To get rid of soap scum quickly, spray the surface with 35 percent HP and let it sit for about 30 minutes. The HP will loosen the grime, so all you need to do is wipe it away with a sponge and rinse.
41. Say Goodbye To Mold: You can use standard 3 percent HP to remove mold. It’s even recommended for removing mold by some of the top health agencies in the world. Just spray mold with HP and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Next, scrub it with a sponge. When dealing with mold, always make sure to wear protective clothing.
42. Clean Glass Better: You can loosen massive amounts of grime and dirt from glass surfaces by spraying them with HP. Wipe the surfaces with an old newspaper for optimal results.
43. Clean Kitchen And Bathroom Counters: You can spray diluted HP onto kitchen and bathroom countertops to clean and disinfect them. Leave for a few minutes and wipe off with a clean towel. It can work even better than some of your top household cleaners.
44. Disinfect Sponges And Dishrags: Over time, sponges and dishrags will get SUPER dirty. Soak them in hot water and two capfuls of HP for 30 minutes. This will thoroughly disinfect and clean all sponges and dishrags.
45. Disinfect Your Cutting Boards: Your cutting boards may hide food particles and bacteria. You don’t want to leave them on your cutting boards. To clean and disinfect them, spray your cutting boards with some HP after every use, and let them sit for a few minutes. Then, rinse them out under running water.
46. Wash Fruits: You can use HP to remove wax and dirt from fruits and vegetables. Just spray them down with some HP and rinse them off under running water.
47. Clean Your Refrigerator: To do this, spray down the entire refrigerator with HP and let it sit for a few minutes. Wipe everything with a clean cloth.
48. Remove Stubborn Foods: Nobody likes cleaning stubborn food off pots and pans. Combine some baking soda and HP to make a paste. Scrub the paste into the troublesome food spots and let it sit for a few minutes. Next, scrub it with with your dish sponge and warm water. The baking soda is an abrasive, and the HP breaks apart the food particles.
49. Enjoy A Fresher Salad: Add 1 tablespoon of food-grade HP to half a cup of water. Spray the solution onto the salad to make it last longer.
50. Clean Kid’s Toys: Kid’s toys spread out on the floor often attract bacteria on them. You want to keep your kid’s toys clean and safe. Use HP to wipe down play areas, toy boxes and toys. Spray HP onto the toys and wipe them down with a clean towel, or wash them in a basin of water with a cup of HP.
51. Brighten Curtains And Table Cloths: If these items have become yellowed and mildewed, you can wipe down the yellowed portions with a cloth soaked in HP. Or, add 1 cup of HP to your wash when doing whites.
52. Get Rid Of Algae: Use HP to remove algae from an aquarium. For every 66 gallons of aquarium water, you want to use about 60 ml of hydrogen peroxide. Use a dropper to add the liquid over the span of about 5 minutes.
53. Treat Animal Wounds: You can use HP on animal wounds in the same way you would use it on human wounds. Just dab the HP onto the wound carefully to disinfect while removing dead flesh.
54. De-mold Plants: If you have some plants that are starting to get a bit moldy and musty, just spray them down with some 3 percent HP. This may be useful when growing wheatgrass.
55. Get Rid Of Canker sores: If you have canker sores in your mouth, you can hold a single capful of HP in your mouth for 10 minutes, and it will get rid of the canker sores. Do not swallow!
56. Add In Your Enema Water: Mix 1 tablespoon of HP to 4 cups of water.
57. Gain Control Of A Yeast Infection: To do this, add about 2 capfuls of HP to the inside of your douche once or twice a week.
58. Clean Your Mirror Exceptionally Well: Over time, mirrors get really dirty. To get a no-streak clean, just spray them down with some HP and wipe them clean with an old newspaper or paper towel for optimal results.
59. Prolong The Freshness Of Your Vegetables: You can use HP to prolong the freshness of your vegetables. Add about ? a cup of food-grade HP to a sink full of cold water and throw your veggies into it. Let them soak for about 30 minutes. Then, rinse them and shake out excess water. Dab dry with clean paper towel, pack them back in a clean plastic bag and store them dry in the fridge, to prolong the freshness.
60. Remove Wine Stains: To get rid of wine stains, mix equal parts of liquid detergent with HP. Pour the solution onto the stain and use a clean cloth to blot the stain away.
61. Remove Collar Stain: Spray the collar with a mixture of 1 part liquid detergent and 2 parts HP. Leave for five minutes and put to wash.
62. Easily Kill Mites: To get rid of mites, spray them with some HP. You can repeat the process a few times to be safe.
63. Improve Your Plant’s Root System: You can improve the roots of your plants by watering them using a mixture of 1 part HP and 32 parts water.
64. Make Short Work Of Armpit Sweat: To get rid of embarrassing armpit stains on your white garments, use 2 parts HP with 1 part dishwasher liquid and apply it to the stains. Allow the stains to soak for about a few minutes then put to wash.
65. Remove Stains From Stone Countertops: HP can work very well for removing stains from virtually any tile or stone surface. Just mix it with some white flour and apply the paste to the stains. Wrap everything in plastic and allow it to sit overnight. Remove and clean up the next morning.