There is one ingredient in nearly every kitchen cupboard that can do wonders for your hair, skin and body. This inexpensive, multitasking item is nothing but baking soda! In fact, baking soda can help you look your best from head to toe.
Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, a natural substance that is crystalline but often appears as a fine powder. This alkaline substance has antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also a powerful medical tool effective at combating everything from colds to oral problems to skin issues.
Baking soda is effective when used for short periods. However, excessive use can damage your skin and hair. Also, you should do a patch test to determine whether your skin is sensitive to it.
Here are 8 benefits of baking soda for your hair, skin and body.
1. Fights Acne and Pimples
To get rid of acne or pimples, you do not need harsh chemicals. Baking soda will do the work easily. The antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of this kitchen staple helps treat the cause as well as reduce the symptoms of acne and other breakouts.
In addition, it helps balance the skin’s pH, which helps reduce the occurrence of skin breakouts.
– Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with a little water to make a paste.
– Apply it on the affected skin for 1 to 2 minutes.
– Rinse it off with cold water.
– Repeat once daily for 2 or 3 days, then reduce the frequency to 1 or 2 times a week.
2. Face mask
You can even out your skin tone and open clogged pores by applying a face mask made of baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Living Wellmindness says to first dilute 1 teaspoon of vinegar in 1/2-cup water. Mix 1 teaspoon baking soda, a half of a lemon and 2 teaspoons of honey together. Slowly add the vinegar and water mixture to create the mask. Leave the mask on for five to 10 minutes.
3. Baking soda dry shampoo
Mix baking soda with your favourite shampoo to get a wonderful purifying shampoo that will cleanse your hair from the residue that styling products leave behind. Mix one table spoon of soda with one table spoon of your favourite shampoo and wash your hair with this mix. After rinsing thoroughly, you will notice that your hair will become squeaky clean and more easily manageable. It’s not an everyday shampoo though. It’s great to wash your hair with this baking soda shampoo once or twice a month. For similar result you can also wash your hair with just baking soda plus water – this is one of the most popular uses of baking soda.
4. Nail care
If you notice any color change in your nails, then its time to clean your nails once in a week with baking soda. Due to excessive use of nail polishes, harsh detergents or nail polish remover our nails changing its color but don’t worry.
– Take a nail brush
– add baking soda and a few lemon drops start scrubbing your nails with it
– After 10 minutes wash it off.
– You see a bit difference after the first use.
Removing dead skin cells brightens the skin. To create a simple exfoliator that’s great for hands, feet, face or any part of the body, Dr. Axe recommends combining 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 cup water.
6. Removes Dandruff
Dandruff is difficult to get rid of, especially during the winter months, but not impossible. With proper and regular hair care, you can eliminate dandruff easily.
Baking soda can help banish those annoying white flakes on your scalp and hair. It clarifies the scalp and helps clear off flakes. In addition, as baking soda is alkaline, it helps bring the pH balance of the scalp to a healthy equilibrium.
– Rub 1 tablespoon of baking soda onto your wet hair and scalp. Wait for a minute, then rinse it out thoroughly with water. Do this once a week only.
– Alternatively, mix freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon with 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Apply it to your scalp, allow it to sit for 2 to 3 minutes and then rinse your hair with water. Follow this remedy once a week only to keep your scalp free from dandruff.
7. Chlorine removal
Swimmers often fight with the lasting smell and damage that chlorine from pools does to their hair. To get rid of the chlorine that clings to your hair, Dr. Oz recommends using a mixture of dish soap and baking soda. When your hair is clean, use a good conditioner.
8. Oily hair, Lighten hair color
My hairs are curly and most time frizzy so I am very curious to find new product who helps to get rid of oily hair and also soften my curls and also it you want to lighten your hair color naturally you can do both things with baking soda. So if you want soft hairs and also want to get rid of oily hair follow the below home remedy.
– mix baking soda with tea tree oil
– apply on your damp hairs.
– Leave it for 20 minutes, and then rinse it really well.
Now the next problem if you want to lighten your hair color and afraid to try any market hair color products then do a simple trick
– mix lemon juice with baking soda
– Apply to your damp hair
– leave for 30 minutes then rinses it off.
– If you want fast result do these home remedies thrice a week.